Monday, September 12, 2011

Old Hutch Makeover




A couple of weeks ago my mom came to me with a somewhat daunting task.  My parents are moving to a new house, which of course calls for some new furniture, but my mom decided that she also wanted to repaint this old hutch that we have had for as long as I can remember.  No joke this thing housed a plate that I decorated in kindergarten...a plate that was probably put in there when I was in kindergarten.  Anyways, I told her the best bet would be to spray paint it.  She wanted it to be light blue but with an aged look, so I immediately showed her this great post I saw at All Things Thrifty.  It was exactly what she wanted!  

So it was one of those great moments where we all just got in the car and drove to Hobby Lobby to pick up all the supplies we needed.

For this project we bought:

5 Spray Cans of Krylon Spraypaint in Blue Ocean Breeze (don't get 'em at hobby lobby though because they are like wayyy cheaper at super walmart, true value, or even michael's)

2 cans of Krylon Primer in Gray 

Faux Glaze medium to mix with any acrylic paint (found at hobby lobby in the acrylic paint aisle)

Black Acrylic Paint

Foam Brushes to apply the glaze (however a towel works well too)






 Here is the ol' thang.


 Give my mom some props, because she taped the top of that hutch with the precision of a ninja painter.
 I cut plastic trash bags and did my best to tape so that the inside shelving was protected.  I kind of failed, as we found out when we removed the bags, but it wasn't too bad.  I sprayed that baby with the primer (which went on great) and let it dry for about 10 minutes.  Then came the coats of Blue Ocean Breeze.  Be careful not to spray too close, and if you are outside watch out for those nasty little suicidal bugs that get stuck in the paint.  You might need a tweezer for those boogers.
 Whilst spraying the top half, my mom tackled the bottom.  She is turning into a pro.
 Then came the glaze.  Read the directions on the back of your glaze medium.  Most likely you will mix like some part medium, paint, and water.  The glaze is pretty runny so dab it on a smaller area and rub it around to see that you like how it looks.  Less is more at first, remember that you can always layer more on.  The glaze stays wet for awhile so that you can easily move it around.  As you can see in the pic, my mom wanted it a little aged but not crazy-glazed.








All done and gorgeous.



And here it goes in the new house! Sorry for the quality, the picture was sent over the phone. Great job Mom!!!



And while I'm commending my mother on her awesome design skills, look at what she created out of our awesome basement.  She painted (without my help) my old daybed and turned it into a comfy couch using a floral fitted sheet and lots of funky pillows. And you gotta love her guts for the cow hide rug.  Ikea my friends. Ikea.

Also linked up at:


4 comments:

  1. Super cute!! This came out beautiful- love how you mixed the finishes! Would love for you to come share at Feathered Nest Friday sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the very sweet comment! I must give a lot of credit to my mom, she did most of the tough work. Your blog looks amazing and I will definitely post up some of my stuff! You are too sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commend you for your mad skills! My husband & I are in the middle of remodeling our manufactured home. It has been A LOT of work, but after months of work, we are finally ready for company. Woot! Hope you have a wonderful day ><>.....Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your nice comment Jenny, and congrats on getting your house all ready!!

    ReplyDelete